Sensors and actuators for aerospace applications
12 September 2023
Overview and General Information:
Sensors and actuators are important for a variety of applications, such as control systems, robotics, mechatronic systems, biomedical devices, and aerospace. This seminar covers the fundamental physical principles, characteristics, and applications for various types of sensors and actuators including thermal, mechanical, electrical, electromechanical, and optical. After an introductory discussion on sensors and actuators, the focus will be on aerospace applications, where selected examples will be analyzed.
- Introduction to sensors
- Sensors’ characteristics
- Physical principle of sensors
- Analysis of different sensors (e.g. piezoelectric, indictive, capacitive, optical, etc.)
- Aerospace applications: case studies
Seminar Learning Outcome
- Be able to recognize and calculate sensors’ characteristics for different sensors such as pressure, temperature, strain, level sensors, etc.
- Understand fundamental physics and constitutive laws for several common transducer types including electromagnetic, piezoelectric, and thermoelectric.
- Be able to apply and use sensing physics to design and analyze sensors and actuators.
Undergrad and grands students are welcomed.