9th International Symposium on Scale Modeling
2-4 March 2022 , Naples, Italy
Scale modeling covers almost all fields of engineering and is often applied to medicine, meteorology, biology etc.
Because of its interdisciplinary nature, Professor Emori (the founder of scale modeling theory) knew there was a need for international communication among a wide range of scale modeling researchers. He initiated the first international symposium on scale modeling in 1988 in Tokyo under the sponsorship of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Following this first successful ISSM, so far eight symposia were held:
- ISSM-2 at Lexington, KY, USA in 1998,
- ISSM-3 at Nagoya, Japan in 2000,
- ISSM-4 at Cleveland, OH, USA in 2003,
- ISSM-5 at Choshi, Japan in 2006,
- ISSM-6 at Kauai, HI, USA in 2009,
- ISSM-7 at Hirosaki, Japan in 2013 and
- ISSM-8 at Portland, OR, USA in 2017.
The symposium is the expression of International Scale Modeling Committee which now has also founded Progress in Scale Modeling (PSMIJ), an International Open Access Journal: https://uknowledge.uky.edu/psmij/
Also, the works presented in the past editions are collected in two volumes edited by Springer:
This edition is co-organized with
- AIDAA, the Italian Associaton of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- WaveSet S.R.L., the start-up company originated from the research group which hosts the symposium.